Search This Blog

Thursday 11 February 2010

Rupert Price

I have just begun my second term of rowing at Robinson College Cambridge. I have already built up a reputation as 'the best rower in college' and 'making everyone else look bad'. Putting aside the fact that the majority of my team-mates only took up the sport 4 months ago, it is safe to assume that the experience I gained from my rowing at Tiffin has put me in good stead!

In recent years the College has not taken much silverware. This year, however things are looking to change. Along with my experience we have one of the lightweight coaches in our boat as well as a Canadian third year exchange who has experience and enthusiasm. 

Because of the narrowness of the river Cam the traditional races between colleges at the University are "bumps",   multiple "head" style races taking place over 4 consecutive days, where the only aim is to catch the preceding crew. If you achieve the "bump", you take that crews place in the starting order the next day, hoping to get to the "head" of the race.

The goal at the moment is to achieve 'blades' at the bumps racing at the end of both this term and the next. This means 'bumping' or overtaking a crew on each of the 4 days of racing.

Aside from racing, one of the great aspects of College Rowing is the social side. I now have several friends in second and third years, even a few postgraduates. Friends I wouldn't have, had I not been rowing. The balance between work and trainings has also been fine. I managed to get a first in our end of term test and have managed to keep on top of things all term long. I think rowing at Tiffin provided me with the organization skills necessary to make this possible.

Rupert Price
CoB 2009

Rupert (Bow), Nick Edwards (2) and Chizzle Harrison (Cox)
vs. Kingston Grammar School 2008